Lynx and Tigers roar in opening Boys' U16 matches

Futures Cup Logos 2016

Futures Cup Boys U16

Mercia Lynx 1 (1)
Henry Croft 29 (FG)

Wessex Leopards 2 (0)
Tom Stevenson 64, 70 (PC, PC)

Captain Tom Stevenson was the hero for the Wessex Leopards as his two penalty corners in the last six minutes turned the tide and clinched a 2-1 win over Merica Lynx. The Lynx led at the break thanks to a splendid strike form Henry Croft but in an even contest Stevenson’s late intervention made the difference and handed the Leopards a winning start.

Both teams produced some good attacking hockey in a very keenly contested match. Fred Newbold showed some fine close skills and was unlucky to see his shot charged down by some outstanding defending from Louis Wrenn.

Mercia went close to adding to Croft’s first half goal but George O’Brien was agonizingly close to finishing off a penalty corner.

Tom Rounsley did well to get a stick on a Stevenson penalty corner as the Leopards pushed hard for a leveller. After a series of penalty corners the pressure finally paid off with six minutes remaining as Stevenson made it 1-1. Mercia immediately hit back and Croft brought out the best in Dominic Wilson in the Leopards’ goal who made a fine save. It looked like the sides would have to settle for a draw but with the last play of the match Stevenson grabbed the winner to break the Lynx hearts.

Saxon Tigers 7 (4)
Matthew Blood 10 (PS)
Freddie Britt 11 (FG)
Jake Davey 28, 31, 62 (FG, FG, PC)
Isaac Farrant 52 (FG)
Rai Raunaq 70 (FG)

Celtic Jaguars 0 (0)

A hat-trick from Saxon Tigers’ Jake Davey helped fire his side to a commanding 7-0 win in their opening match of the Futures Cup against Celtic Jaguars.

The Tigers settled the quicker of the two sides with Matthew Blood breaking the deadlock from an early penalty stroke. It was 2-0 a minute later as Freddie Britt’s neat reverse stick strike beat the Jaguars goalkeeper to double the advantage. Ben Fox’s fine run and cross set up Davey for his first of the match seven minutes before the break and then the No12 grabbed his second of the match to make it 4-0 at the interval.

Rhys Payne produced some fine goalkeeping early in the second half to keep the Tigers at bay, excelling himself well as the Jaguars defence creaked under the pressure. The second half resistance was broken on 52 minutes as Isaac Farrant’s fierce backhand strike found the net. Davey completed his hat-trick from a penalty corner. There was still time for Rai Raunaq to slot home a goal to add a gloss to the scoreline and get the Tigers off to the perfect start.

All the live scores, updates and results can be found here.